Running and jogging exert brute force on your feet, legs, hips and spine. Proper shoe selection is very vital to protecting these from injury or long-term problems.
Some general tips:
Weight, foot structure, and running regimen are all deciding factors. Be mindful that all shoes have a different shape, and sizes and widths are not uniform from shoe to shoe.
- Fit the shoe to your longest toe, which is often your second toe.
- Shoes should be comfortable when you first try them on. Don't buy shoes and plan to "break them in" by wearing them.
- Take the same socks you'll use for jogging. They should fit well, be made without seams, which could cause irritation to the foot. If you use extra-thick socks while running, select shoes with enough room. Socks should be made mostly out of synthetic materials which "wick" moisture away from the foot. This reduces the chance of developing blisters
- The shoe should grip your heel firmly.
- While the shoe is on your foot, you should be able to wiggle all your toes.
- You should have at least 1/4 inch of space beyond your longest toe.
Consider whether a special insert will be placed in your shoe, and whether your running style is flat-footed or on the balls of the feet.
Shoes should provide cushioning for shock absorption, and ought to be able to fully bend at the ball of the foot area.
Running Shoes - Mild Pronation Control
ASICS GT-2110 (M/W) widths si
ASICS Gel Empire (M/W) si
Brooks Adrenaline GTS 6 (M/W) widths si
Brooks Trance 5 (M/W) si
Mizuno Wave Alchemy 5 widths si
Mizuno Wave Inspire 2 si
New Balance 767 (M/W) widths si
New Balance 1221 (M/W) widths si
Nike Air Structure Triax 9 (M/W) widths si
Nike Air Max Moto (M/W) si
Nike Shox TL3 si
Running Shoes - Moderate Pronation Control
Adidas Supernova Control (M/W) widths
ASICS Gel Kayano XII (M/W) widths si
ASICS Gel-Foundation VI (M/W) widths si
ASICS Gel Evolution II (M/W) widths si
Brooks Addiction 6 (M/W) widths si
Mizuno Wave Elixer si
New Balance 857 ST (M/W) widths si
Reebok Supreme Control DMX (M/W)
Puma Complete Premise
Running Shoes - Maximum Pronation Control
Brooks Beast (M/W) widths si
Brooks Ariel (W) widths si
Mizuno Wave Renegade 3 si
New Balance 1010 (M/W) widths
Running Shoes -Cushioning
ASICS Gel-Cumulus VI widths si
ASICS Gel Landreth si
Brooks Glycerin 4
Mizuno Wave Rider 9 widths
Mizuno Wave Creation 7 si